Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota/Executive Director Search
SUMMARY OF OPPORTUNITY
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota (ASC) – located in Florida – seeks an Executive Director to lead the organization in the effective realization of its strategic goals as a presenter of live musical performance. The successful candidate will possess the expertise and enthusiasm to motivate and inspire while demonstrating the disciplined managerial attributes of an experienced not-for-profit professional.
MISSION AND HISTORY
The mission of Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota is to promote excellence in live musical performance by presenting acknowledged stars of the next generation to audiences of Florida’s Gulf Coast. With an aspirational vision to be nationally recognized as a preeminent musical organization dedicated to the professional development of emerging artists, ASC is committed to:
• Serving a mission that secures a uniquely competitive and sustainable programming niche in the region’s rich and diverse community of musical organizations
• Developing and implementing an integrated program of Audience Development that serves and retains an informed, receptive, and loyal base of support
• Cultivating and stewarding a supportive Board of Trustees, Donor Base, and Volunteer Corps that ensures fiscal and organizational stability
• Instituting operational and programming efficiencies that reflect and maintain rigorous disciplines in resource management
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 by co-founders Jerold Ross and Lee Dougherty Ross. Under Lee’s Artistic Direction, the organization’s programming has grown to present full seasons of diverse genres, including classical, cabaret, pop, Broadway, orchestral, and opera. In addition to stage performances presented in a variety of dynamic venues, including the Historic Asolo Theater, Sarasota Opera House, Venice Performing Arts Center, and various religious facilities, the ASC season also includes chamber soirées and the Lunch & Listen series presented in private homes and social centers. In 2016, Dr. Joseph Holt was named as ASC’s Artistic Director, while Ms. Ross continues to serve as ASC’s Director of Outreach and Competitions. A central focus of ASC’s outreach program is to spark a lifelong love of the musical arts by presenting interactive performance-based programs in area schools, clubs, and senior centers. In addition, ASC has awarded more than $300,000 in scholarships to gifted young musicians, many of whom have gone on to study at leading music conservatories.
John Alan Fischer, ASC’s retiring Managing Director, has successfully led the organization since 2002, working with trustees to institute programs, policies, and protocols in management that ensure ASC’s position as a leader among non-profits. Mr. Fischer most recently launched a structured and ongoing strategic planning program to ensure continued and sustainable growth in programming and fundraising. Under his direction, ASC has reached out to granting organizations to provide broader-based support that complements income from private donations, ticket sales, and other revenue streams. In 2006, John worked with ASC’s base of loyal volunteers to establish Artist Series Concert Friends. With a current membership of 150+, the Friends provide strong support to all ASC programming, including the expanded community and school outreach efforts.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director will lead from a place of passion and professionalism, maintaining open and transparent operations and communications between trustees and staff. A deeply felt love of music and musical artists will be a defining part of the Executive Director’s personality. The Executive Director will guide the organization into the future, expanding its base of resources and supporting and inspiring staff, donors, patrons, and volunteers. Serving as a recognized and connected leader in the area’s music community will be a hallmark of the Executive Director’s style of leadership. As a strong manager who can celebrate successes with all participants and not be deterred by challenge, the Executive Director’s essential responsibilities will include:
• Fostering and guiding the mission/vision with a deep appreciation of where Artist Series Concerts has been and an expansive concept of where the organization can go.
• Cultivating and stewarding Board leadership in active, informed, and productive participation.
• Developing and executing cost-effective business strategies/plans, including budgetary and operational protocols and oversight for programming, venue and artist selection/contracting, marketing, public relations, outreach, and development activities.
• Cultivating and stewarding a supportive base of donors, grantors, sponsors, and patrons to ensure the fiscal and organizational stability necessary for long-range planning and program development.
• Ensuring mutually rewarding artist-audience engagements by maintaining and leading a professional staff collaboratively dedicated to the highest standards of concert presentation and audience development.
• Ensuring organizational policies and legal guidelines are communicated to and strictly followed by all stakeholders.
• Overseeing ASC’s financial performance, investments, and related business ventures.
• Serving as the organization’s public representative to elevate ASC’s profile through public speaking, professional associations, and strategic partnership programs.
• Evaluating and making any necessary changes to internal policies, procedures, and controls.
• Serving as signatory in legally binding contracts and financial matters of the organization.
Ideally, the successful candidate will possess these skills and experience:
• Senior management experience with a track record of progressive responsibility in an environment of creativity and innovation.
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds with an understanding of traditional fundraising and an interest in creative approaches to resource development.
• Ability to solve problems in a calm and tactful manner.
• Knowledge of and passion for live musical performance.
• Financial acumen and ability to report fiscal position accurately and in meaningful ways.
• Demonstrated skills in budgeting and administration of budgets.
• Strong writing and communication skills.
• An innovative and creative thinker with the analytical skills to balance risk with reward when considering growth and expansion.
• A collaborative nature, securely able to bring together multiple strong personalities and opinions successfully.
• A fundamentally strategic thinker with strong attention to detail.
• Experience in the not-for-profit arts sector.
• Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience is required.
COMPENSATION AND START DATE
Salary and benefits will be competitive with other organizations of comparable stature and size. ASC hopes to make its decision by mid-March of 2019 with the chosen candidate taking on the position in early May, allowing for a two-month period of co-management with the retiring Managing Director.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this position will close on Friday, January 18, 2019.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter (no more than 1 ½ pages), salary expectation, and three professional references electronically to:
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota by email: info@ArtistSeriesConcerts.org
Subject line: ASC Executive Director Search
Candidate will be notified by email when application is received.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.